Saturday, April 7, 2018

Renovating Dar- Al Hanan Library

One of the closest activities to my heart, one thing that I'll always be proud that I did and that I was a participant in. 
Once Mrs. Hala Hashem came up with an idea of renovating a library, all agreed and the journey of real hard work started. First of all we had to go search for some money, we visited some banks, some people that we knew they would donate money and other big institutions that we thought might help. Actually people we reacting positively and we collected a good number of money.

After that we had to empty the shelves!! The library was a huge one that contained many and lots of books. The number was gross. we emptied the shelves and then we started sorting the books, we divided the books into cycles and we had that part of really bad books; those books were missing some pages or the covers. Others were really of a very high level that shouldn't be found at schools. So we sorted these books into 3 cycles and then appeared a collection of books for the same author so what we had to do id to group them together.  

After that we had to put the books back in their places after the shelves and the tables were changed,and the walls were repainted. We put books of low grades in low positions so kids can reach them and we went up as the level increased. This renovation was done over a period of 1 and a half month of real hard work and perseverance. After this we were rewarded by Mr. Abdulraheem Mourad, he distributed certificates for the participants in the opening ceremony and the library was then named after Joumana Zebian (My her soul rest in peace).  

This experience is one of the closest to my heart. I would repeat it over and over again with no hesitation and with no doubt that we can do it. It feels very nice to see that you are able to do something beneficial to the society especially if it is related to orphans. 

Students now are spending most of their times in the library where they can easily find the book they need and sit in a comfy place to read it. 
Thanks to our instructors who allowed us to experience such a thing and be a part of it. 
Always happy that i belong to this big family, the English department of the LIU. 

5 comments:

  1. Indeed working for Dar Al Hanan is always an intimate experience that makes a person feel great about him/herself. I"m really grateful that I belong to the English department at LIU too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very thoughtful work you and your classmates have done dear Manar. I encourage every school to renovate their library since by the emergence of technology, reading books is decreasing, even though I myself encourage my students to read books instead of watching TV or the movie of that particular book and I wrote one of my posts about this subject. Reading really enhances the memory, creativity and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I have heard about the success of this activity and I thought about the value of such a great work that was a result of well-organized collaboration. Dar AlHanan is one of the institutions that we are honored to work at. Much of appreciation for LIU Education Department.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I count our achievements and successful activities in the education department, the renovation of the Dar AlHanan`s Library pops in firstly in my mind.It is our honor and pleasure to serve the better for these innocent orphanages. Great Job dear Manar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It isn't everyday that one gets to participate in such an important and honorable endeavor. It's obvious that all those involved put forth a heartfelt effort for Dar-al-Hanan Library and that is what led to the success of the renovation. Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete